RPI-520002 TurboTrain Set: Penn Central/US DOT (3 Cars) Analog Version -Pre-Order
RPI-520002 TurboTrain Set:Penn Central/US DOT (3 Cars) Analog Version -Pre-Order
The United Aircraft TurboTrain is an important part of our railroad heritage. The Turbo was a high-speed passenger train that operated in Canada and the United States from the 1960s to the 1980s. To this day, it is the fastest production train in North American history. It achieved the American speed record of 170.8 MPH in 1967 and the Canadian speed record of 140.6 MPH in 1976, both of which still stand today.
The TurboTrain was designed and marketed by United Aircraft Corporate Systems Center (later Sikorsky Aircraft) as a gas turbine-powered, high-speed intercity train. Each train was powered by four or five Pratt & Whitney ST-6 gas turbine engines, with an additional gas turbine providing auxiliary power. The Turbo featured a unique pendular suspension over articulated single-axle trucks, which allowed the train to tilt in curves. That feature, combined with the short Intermediate Car length, meant that the Turbo could travel much faster than regular trains on conventional track. It was a high-speed train without the need to invest in high-speed train infrastructure.
The Rapido Trains Inc. N scale TurboTrain is your chance to recreate this important piece of our railroad history on your own model railroad.
- Accurate dimensions scaled from original blueprints
- Two powered Power Dome Cars with smooth, reliable drive systems
- Articulated single-axle trucks with needlepoint axles
- Full interior detail with interior lighting
- Different Canadian and American versions with accurate details
- All wheels pick up power for electrical reliability
- Working headlights, tail lights, and Gyralites
- Prototypically-tinted windows
- CN and VIA customers can add a four-pack of Intermediate Cars to complete their trains
- Sound-equipped models feature a sound decoder and sugar cube speaker in each Power Dome Car
- Sounds are accurate Turbo sounds sourced from original Betamax video recordings
- Sound decoders are custom ESU LokSound with amazing sound quality
|Dimensions||15 x 10 x 3 in|